In recent years, insomnia has become a pressing problem in developed countries and the number of people suffering from it is increasing every year.
Sometimes insomnia is a symptom of a more serious disorder, not a stand-alone disease. Often it is a symptom of neurosis, some heart disease, mental disorders or neuroinfection. Insomnia is also traditionally considered as an indicator of ageing changes in the nervous system of elderly people.
Sleep disorders can also occur in healthy people after excessive physical or emotional strain. That is why only consistent sleep disorders lasting for a month or occasional sleep disorders over a period of at least three months are considered to be insomnia.
How does breathing technique with the Frolov’s Respiration Training Device help eliminate insomnia?
Although the human brain represents only 2% of the body weight, it receives 20% of the total body oxygen consumption. To carry out all the necessary functions such as food consumption or sleep the brain needs a remarkable amount of oxygen. It explains the improvement of sleep quality, better memory, and stable mood in patients doing breath therapy exercises, which are the results of increased oxygen supply of neurons and enhanced brain performance.
There is also a correlation between electroencephalogram’s brain wave patterns and breathing curves. For example, rapid breathing correlates with electroencephalogram’s low amplitude fast waves, while relaxed breathing correlates with steady rhythm of brain waves. When a person is falling asleep, the breathing rhythm changes and body temperature drops a little — these are typical characteristics of sleep.
Breath therapy positive effects in patients with insomnia:
- The breathing rhythm becomes similar to that near bedtime. After the exercises body temperature drops a little just like before falling asleep, that is why in insomnia treatment it is better to do breathing exercises before bedtime.
- Practicing slower exhales stabilizes the processes of an excitation and inhibition in the CNS, relieving irritation, reducing fatigue and improving the sleep quality. A slow prolonged exhale helps to relax body muscles.
- Breathing out against the positive water resistance helps to create expiratory positive airway pressure. It widens bronchi, enhancing lung ventilation, increasing blood oxygen and distributing more oxygen into your other organs and tissues as well as improving the brain activity.
- Diaphragmatic (abdominal) breathing stabilizes the intrathoracic pressure enabling your heart-vascular system to work properly. It increases blood distribution into all body organs and parts of the brain, which optimizes the functioning of your nervous system, relieves headache and dizziness, and improves sleep quality.
- Using Frolov’s Respiration Training Device enables you to focus on the breathing itself, relax and fall asleep quicker.
- Regular breathing exercises will gradually replace sleeping pills and phytopreparations.
Improvement of the sleep quality is registered both in elderly people with long-term sleep disorders and in young people with occasional sleep problems. Both groups of patients find it easier to fall asleep after the therapy and feel refreshed and active in the morning.
Breathing exercises reduce the frequency of waking up at night from
On-line consultation from Recreation therapist, Dr. Sergey Zinatulin
Do you have any questions? Ask our Doctor!
Please include your age, chronical diseases (if any) and duration. If you are already using the Frolov’s device, please let us know for how long. We will be happy to help you and answer your question within 48 hours at the e-mail provided.